Welcome to the Lichfield Referee Academy.
The Academy has developed a number of objectives;-
1. Improve the overall competency of the referees by regularly assessing their performance and giving appropriate feedback
2. Improving their overall performance by agreeing the areas which need to improve or develop
3. Ensure that all referees are members of the SRUSR and receive appropriate support
4. Develop a sense of pride and enjoyment in what they do
5. Ensure visiting clubs are aware of the desire to achieve high standards of ability and impartiality
6. Develop new referees to ensure continued support to LRUFC
7. Ensure all referees understand the need for a safety first methodology
We encourage coaches, players and spectators to start refereeing and with RFU support we have had over 21 members go through the ELRA, which means all age groups at LRUFC mini and junior teams, have qualified referees for matches.
Regular training sessions and meetings are held and the SRUSR training facility is regularly used and SRUSR meetings attended. Six of the Academy Referees have joined the SRUSR as full members and are looking to referee more widely across Staffordshire.
Since launch the Academy now has 18 regular referees, 50% of whom are teenagers, who have refereed over 100 games at Lichfield Junior and Ladies together with 20 U14, U15, U16 and U17 games at Wolverhampton, Burntwood and Stafford rugby clubs. More recently we have provided support for local school games.
The Academy is sponsored by Bell Equipment UK providing all referees with new kit, including neutral shirts, shorts, socks and RFU providing flags and whistles.